Skip to content
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 250ml water (1 cup)
- 2 ½ Cups of white sugar
- 2 ½ tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp. of vanilla essence
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 20g of butter
- 150 ml milk of your choice
- Put the water and sugar in a pot that fits the Cobb and bring to boil. Stir frequently until the sugar is completely dissolved. Boil for 7 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the Cobb and stir in the lemon juice and vanilla essence. Put the pot into the fridge
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Break the butter or margarine into small pieces and add to the four mixture. Add the milk. Mix well until a dough is formed.
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of 5 mm (+/- 1/4 inch.). Cut the dough into thin (+/-10 mm or 1/2 inch.) strips.
- Take 3 strips and join their ends on one side. Braid the strips to desired koeksister length and join other ends.
- Heat the oil in a Frying Dish until fairly hot. Put about 3 koeksisters (or what can fit) at a time in the oil and fry them on both sides until they get a golden-brown color.
- As you remove the koeksisters from the oil, place them directly into the syrup from the fridge.
- It is important to keep the syrup cool, so between soakings, return the syrup to the fridge to maintain its coolness.