Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 Large Pork Belly at room temperature
- Olive Oil, for rubbing (2 tablespoons, 30ml)
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) fennel seeds
- 3 Bay leaves, finely shredded
- Black Pepper
- 6 Apples
- Light a Cobblestone and allow to burn for 5 minutes. Top your COBB with the Grill Grid and Roast Rack, cover with the dome and preheat for 5 minutes.
- Dry the pork well using a paper towel. Using a very sharp knife, score shallow lines about 1cm apart (or in a crisscross pattern) into the skin. Be sure not to cut all the way through to the meat.
- Rub the pork all over with oil, salt flakes, fennel seeds and bay, making sure you get into the score lines of the skin.
- Place the meat, skin-side down, on the roast rack. Place the apples around the pork. Cover the dome and roast for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the apples. If the pork skin is not yet blistered and crispy, cook for another 20 minutes (covered with the dome), then turn.
- Finish with a final 30 – 60 minutes more (depending on thickness), skin-side up.
- Scoop the flesh from the apples and mash with a little salt and pepper.
- Rest the pork belly for 10 minutes before carving, and serve with your freshly made apple purée.