Tempeh Shawarma by MIRA WEINER
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes (15 minutes per kebab)
Ingredients for the shawarma:
- Olive Oil
- Juice from half a lemon
- Spice mix recipe below
- 220g black bean tempeh, sliced
- 1 Medium cauliflower, torn into florets
- 2 Red onions, cut into quarters
Ingredients for the Shawarma Spice Blend:
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs (I used a mix of parsley & origanum)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Generous pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt
Ingredients for the Quinoa Tabbouleh:
- 4 Cups cooked quinoa
- 80g Promegranate arils
- 50g Flaked almonds, toasted
- Large handful of fresh herbs (I used parsley, coriander and mint), finely chopped
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- Pink Himalayan salt and pepper
Ingredients for the Creamy Tahini, Lemon & Garlic Sauce:
- 1 Cup of good quality tahini
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 Garlic cloves, grated
- Splash of water as needed
- Pink Himalayan Salt and pepper
- Start by mixing your spice blend together in a bowl. Add a generous amount of olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Mix well. Light your Cobblestone and place the Disposable Sleeve into the COBB followed by the Rotisserie Dome Extension on top. Assemble your kebab on the Rotisserie shaft: I did cauliflower, red onion, tempeh and repeated that combo 3x times. Place the kebab onto the Rotisserie and connect the motor.
- Close your COBB with the Dome Lid to allow the veggies to steam for 5 minutes. Remove the lid. Now the fun starts – baste your delicious marinade all over the kebab with a generous coating.
- The kebab will take about 15 minutes to cook and I re-basted it every 5 minutes or so. Remove your kebab and re-load it up for the second round. I did 3 kebabs shared amongst 4 people.
- Remove the Rotisserie and the Dome Extension and replace with the COBB Frying Pan. Allow to heat and then gently toast the flaked almonds until golden brown.
- To make the quinoa tabbouleh, place all the ingredients into a bowl and gently toss to combine.
- To make the creamy tahini, lemon and garlic sauce: add all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk together until smooth and creamy. If needed add a dash of water, the mixture can be a bit thick and you want a nice smooth sauce.