- 1 cup Tabu Food organic short grain brown rice
- 2.5 litres of my waste-free broth (can also sub with water or veg stock)
- 200g Tabu Food organic vegan paneer or organic tempeh
- 2 tbsp Tabu Food brown rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Tabu Food tamari
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener (maple or agave)
- I tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch of chilli paste / dried chillis
- A splash of Tabu Food umeboshi brine (optional)
- Winter veggies of choice (I used broccolini, bok choi + wild greens)
- Soak the brown rice the night before. Rinse off & place in a pot with the broth. Place the Frying Dish and bring to a boil over high heat & reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover & cook for 45 min-1 hour. Remove from heat. The rice will naturally thicken as it cools.
- Place brown rice vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, liquid sweetner, ginger, garlic & if using chilli paste or dried flakes plus the umeboshi brine into a bowl. Mix well. Slice tofu or tempeh into triangles & cover with marinade. This can be made the night before so that the flavours can soak in or allow to marinade for 30 min. The tofu or tempeh steaks can either be pan-fried, roasted, air-fryed, baked or grilled.
- Cook your winter veggies as desired, they can be steamed, pan-fried or chargrilled.
- To assemble, divide the rice porridge into bowls, top with crispy tofu or tempeh triangles, winter veggies, quick pickle radish slices + fresh herbs. Enjoy hot!