MAKES 1 x 20cm CAKE TIN
- 75g butter
- 1 large egg
- 100g sugar
- 1 1/2 (7.5ml) teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100ml milk
- 100g dark chocolate
- 250ml cream
- 500g dark or medium chocolate
- Cream the butter and sugar together and add the egg, beating till pale.
- Mix the flour, cocoa and vanilla essence together and add to the butter mixture.
- Melt the chocolate and stir into the cake mixture.
- Pour into a well greased and lined 20cm cake tin.
- Prepare the Cobb with the roasting rack and heat for 7 minutes with the lid on.
- Place on the Cobb roasting rack, with the lid on and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Once the sponge is ready change the roasting rack to the frying dish.
- To make the ganache bring the cream to the boil in the frying dish and add chopped chocolate.
- Remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- Allow to thicken at room temperature.
- Remove the cake from the pan and cool.
- Cut in half, lengthways and spread with ganache.
- Spread the rest of the ganache over the top and decorate with lots of strawberries and wafer biscuits.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh cream or crème fraiche.