Light a Cobblestone and allow to burn for 5 minutes. Top your COBB with the frying dish, cover with the dome and preheat for 5 minutes
- Season the meat and toss in flour to coat.
- Add a splash of oil to the frying dish and brown the meat. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the frying dish and sauté until fragrant and soft
- Return meat and add the herbs and milk stout. Cover with the dome and simmer for 60 minutes, or until the meat is tender. (Check during cooking and add a little more water if it looks dry.)
- Stir through the pickled onions, and spoon filling into an ovenproof dish that fits the COBB (26cm).
- Roll out the pastry so it’s slightly thinner and fits the size of the dish. Lay pastry over the pie filling, making sure to tuck in the sides. Pierce a steam hole in the centre of the pie and brush pastry with egg yolk
- Fit the COBB with the grill grid and roast rack. Place the pie dish on the rack, cover with the dome and bake for 25–30 minutes until pastry is golden
SWAP IT OUT:
For Chicken Pie, make the filling with shredded roast chicken, some fried mushrooms and leeks, a sprig of thyme and ¾ cup cream or evaporated milk.