Lamb Tomato Bredie
by Traveling Wild and Free
- 1 Lamb, roughly 1kg, cut of your choice (we used ribs)
- 1 Diced onion
- 1 Tin of tomatoes and onion mix
- 2 Cups of water
- 2 Cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Mixed Herbs
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 2 tbsp Oil
Tsp = Teaspoon
Tbsp = Tablespoon
- Light your COBB with 1 CobbleStone, place your Griddle+ and Dome Lid.
- Brown your meat on the Griddle+, this is to help increase the flavour of the meat as well as shed some excess fat as it cooks away.
- Once cooked take it off and chop it into your desired sizes.
- Place the Frying Dish on (you can also use your Potjie Pot and put it straight on the open flames) and let it heat up.
- Once the Dish/pot is hot, add the oil and fry onions till they start to turn brown then add your garlic and fry for a few min. (Usually, you would fry the meat too but since it is already cooked you no longer need to)
- Give everything a good mix and add all remaining ingredients. Wait till everything starts to simmer then put the lid on and let it simmer for 30-45min or until meat is soft and tender.
- Once it is cooked you can remove the lid and let the water cook out until the gravy is at your desired thickness. Be careful not to burn it at this stage as. Once it gets a thicker consistency it will be more likely to stick to the bottom and burn.
- Serve with a starch of your choice, most commonly served with rice, samp, pap or mash.