Ingredients for the sauce:
- A splash of oil
- 2 tbsp butter, to sauté the onions
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Tbsp mild curry powder
- ½ cup apricot jam
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp butter, to finish the sauce
Ingredients for the Sosaties:
- Skewer sticks
- 4-6 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 thick smoked pork rashers, cut into bite sized pieces
- Serve with hot dog rolls and coleslaw
- For the sosatie sauce, in a large frying pan, sauté the onions in the oil and 2 Tbsp butter until translucent then add the crushed garlic and ginger.
- Add the spices and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the apricot jam & water, stir to combine then simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens. Gently stir in another 3 Tbsp butter to finish the sauce.
- To prepare the sosaties, alternate the chicken pieces and pieces of pork rashers on a skewer stick. Season with salt and pepper then grill on a high temperature for 5-10 minutes on each side until the meat is completely cooked.
- To serve, dip the cooked sosatie into the sosatie sauce then place the sosatie in a hotdog roll, add a handful of coleslaw. Remember to remove the sosoatie stick before you take a bite.
For a simple coleslaw, combine chopped cabbage, chopped baby spinach, grated carrots the add a splash of olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, salt and pepper.