Plant powered and protein packed shakshuka!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 cup cannellini beans
- 400g organic smoked tofu, cut into triangles
- 3 tsp capers, halved
- ¼ cup pitted black olives, halved
- 2 good quality Italian chopped tin tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 punnet baby tomatoes (plum or cherry works well), halved
- 2 tsp Nomu Mediterranean Herb & Spice Blend
- 1 tsp Nomu ground coriander
- 1 tsp Nomu ground cumin
- 1 tsp Nomu sweet paprika
- Pinch of Nomu dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the Frying Dish onto the COBB and allow to heat. Add the olive oil to the pan and once the oil is warm add the red onions, cook for a few minutes and season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped fresh tomatoes. Once the tomatoes start to cook down, add the herbs and spices. The flavours will start to develop and the tomatoes will become jammy. At this point, add the chopped tin tomatoes and tomato paste. Place the lid over the COBB and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the cannellini beans and stir them gently through the chunky tomato sauce. Add the capers and olives. Cook for a few minutes.
- Place the Griddle onto the COBB and brush with olive oil. Place the tofu triangles onto the grill and cook for a few minutes on each side until beautiful char-grilled lines appear. Turn the tofu triangles over and repeat on the over side. Remove from heat.
- I like to finish the shakshuka off first before toasting the bread so that the bread is hot and crunchy. Remove the Frying Dish from the heat. Add the avocado slices, freshly chopped coriander and flat leaf parsley, crumbled vegan feta and a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
- Brush the grill with some extra olive oil if needed and place your fresh bread slices onto the grill. Allow the bread to toast on each side for a few minutes.
- Dive in and munch!