Skip to content
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1?½ pounds ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 2 slices Texas toast thick-sliced bread
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon hot chutney
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Light the COBB with the Frying Dish over medium-high heat. Cook the onions in the hot oil until it is soft. Break the ground beef into theFrying Dish and cook until brown.
- Place the milk in a shallow dish. Soak the bread in the milk. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread. Set the milk aside.
- Add the bread to the beef mixture. Stir in the raisins, apricot jam, chutney, curry powder, salt, and black pepper. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the COBB for 1 hour.
- While the bobotie bakes, whisk together the reserved milk, egg, and a pinch of salt. Pour over top of the dish. Lay the bay leaf onto the top of the milk mixture.
- Return the bobotie to the Cobb until the top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.